Also known as rajma masala.
I have used the lighter variety of Rajma called Chitra Rajma.
The combination of this delicious dish with hot steamed rice is one of the most favourite food from Jammu, Kashmir, Delhi and Punjab.
* Red kidney beans (rajma) 1 cup( soaked for about 4-5 hours and Cooke with 2 cups of water
* 2 Onions finely chopped
* 2 large tomatoes, chop and purée them.
* Salt as per taste
* 3 tablespoons
* 1 Bay leaf
* 1″ Ginger chopped finely
* 7-8 Garlic cloves chopped finely
* 1 tea spoon of Cumin powder
* 2 t spoons of Red chilli powder ( preferable Kashmir and long red chillies as it gives a good colour and is spicy too.
* 1/4 spn Turmeric powder
* 2 pinches of Garam masala powder.
Pressure cook soaked rajma with 2 cups of water for about 5 to 6 whistles in medium heat. Once cooked add salt and boil for another 5 mins and keep aside.
Heat oil in a pan and add chopped bay leaves and finely chopped onions.
Add ginger and garlic and continue to sauté till the mixture turns golden. Add tomato puree,cumin powder, red chilli powder, turmeric powder and cook till the oil leaves the masala.
Add rajma along with the water. Cook on low heat on closed lid.Add salt and garam masala powder. Lower the heat and allow to simmer for another 10 minutes on low heat. Serve hot with steamed rice or roti.
Add a little ghee or butter before serving…